Search This Blog

Monday, August 20, 2012

Always pay attention

Last Wednesday, running in Umstead State Park, I ran a trail I've run at least 50 times in the past 5 years (each way) and somehow got turned around such that I was running back towards the start. All without ever breaking stride or wondering if I was off trail. This is a short trail section, 2 miles. And not very winding. I have never, not once, gotten lost or even wondered if I was lost.

This time, I didn't notice anything amiss at first either. I simply started thinking that I should have been at the other end where the trail crosses the Bike & Bridle road. Then I started thinking "I know this part", then I passed a guy and his dog who I remember passing the other way a while back. Then I passed 2 hikers, again the wrong way and I knew I somehow got turned around. I didn't really care, but I finally decided I had to figure out what the hell happened.

So I made another, deliberate 180 degree turn and charged back. Turns out, there was a fallen tree that I skirted around to the left when I should have gone right. The real trail made a good 120 degree turn at that point. The trail I ran was on older, not really used, section that eventually meets up with the real trail. And I somehow went right and started doubling back. My actual path (in the image) was Blue, Red, Green. The Red was my mistake.

Still, not a bad day on the trails. But reminded me I need to pay more attention on the trails! Not like road running where you zoning out is my norm.

1 comment: