Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

How to pick a race

I'm conflicted on what race to run this Fall. The two I've narrowed it down to are on the same weekend. One seems a better choice for several reasons, the other is "calling" me more, but with 1 major drawback.

The options:
Gibbet 50 miler
West Virginia Mountain Trilogy (3 day stage race of 50K, 50 mile, half marathon lengths)

The Gibbet just makes more sense. It's closer (4 hour drive versus 6 hours). It's in a much more family friendly location (Virginia Beach, VA versus BFE, WV) if J and the kids wanted to accompany me. I'd be away from the family for less time if they don't. Given my currently level of fitness, a single long race makes a helluva lot more sense than back-to-back trail ultra's followed by a trail half marathon (followed by a 6 hour drive home). Both courses are primarily trail but neither appear to have major climbs or long stretches of overly-technical sections.

The biggest thing for me is the fact the words "remote location" are on the Trilogy race website. Race headquarters is at "The Mountain Institute" in WV, where free tent camping (albeit with showers and bathrooms) is available. According to the website, the closest lodging ("clean, comfortable, older style motels") are ~40 minutes away. They recommend you bring whatever supplies you may need as the nearest store is 20 minutes away. This is a deterrent for me.

Don't get me wrong, the WV mountains can be beautiful. I've run another of the WVMTR races, the Cheat Mountain Moonshine Madness 50 mile. And while it was almost entirely run in the dark (started at 9 PM), what I could tell was that it was pretty nice country. But let's face facts. I'm a "comfy chair & shower" kind of person. I like a comfy bed, especially after running all day through trails. 3 days of trail races sounds awesome, but not with tent camping in between. Hell, I don't even own a tent!

So, Gibbet 50 in Virginia Beach makes so much sense. I'm fairly certain I could finish it (with the usual caveats of any long race) if I continue training the next 2 months the way I've been. But the idea of running 3 days of trails races through the mountains definitely calls to me. I've never done it anything like it. Would I even be able to start on day 2? How would my body react afterwards? I really want an answer these questions. But at the expense of my comfort? I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment